Welcome to the Jungle

May 18, 2013

I'll be truthful about this year; given my choices of this season's plantings I have no idea how productive it will be.  But hey, if I ever want to get lost for a while I may just crawl in. 




And to think I ever worried about the pole beans... now the support trellis makes sense, eh?

Some new additions: (I waited on your ideas but your silence spoke volumes about your confidence in me)


Malabar Spinach- not a spinach, doubtful Malabar origin, but I picked the right item to perk up the aesthetics this season and, I'm told, to become the next invasive species to overrun my back yard.
(At least I can eat it back some... the four-o'-clocks currently playing the part of kudzu in the yard cannot be dealt with, and scoff at my eradication efforts.  There's no worse feeling than being mocked by less-than-sentient beings)



(middle) Syrian oregano.  Enjoying the peace of the keyhole, far away from its troubled origin.  
Let me tell you about this one-  it has some pep when it's fresh off the stem; a little bitter but peppery and spicy, and can leave your tongue numb.  I can only imagine what it must do for a lamb kebab plate... yum.

This year's volunteers and transfers:


(left, behind the stick) Tomato of unknown strain/origin
(foreground) Thai basil.  That stuff is all over the pots on our back bedroom deck, and obviously stands up well to being moved around.  Great addition to pad thai and lemongrass chicken.


mmm... fresh green beans on the way.
 

I've seen ragweed with less vigor than this year's cherry tomatoes; if they push fruit as well as they push leaves, we'll have a lot of happy salads this summer!


 The strawberries enjoyed the TLC offered by the mulch; unfortunately they also drew the attention of some rather opportunistic birds that have thus far made it to the berries before any of us could.  I  formed some recycled chicken wire into protective cages... problem solved(?)

 

As healthy as everything is, it seems a shame to trim and prune without considering those %1s in my life who could really use some fruiting plants/herbs.  With some root hormone powder, and some sand/potting soil mix for rooting medium, we should get a chance to see how well the cherry toms and oregano clone out.  

Hope to have some produce to show off next time!

Comments