While We Wait... Related Topics and Other Projects(!)

5/8/2012:

The skies have opened somewhat, and the thoroughness of the soaking brings us to another reality of keyhole gardening under the sustainable model... namely, that it must be sustained.
Ultimately, decomposition of certain ingredients within the growing medium, not to mention the sheer weight of the dirt itself when soaked, causes the garden to go from this:


to this-


a settlement of about 6 inches since March.

It takes the plants with it, though they're none too sensitive to the drop; the overhanging vines seem to gain stem strength through the gradual pull.  But the inevitability of adding dirt, compost, and various other adjuncts from time to time makes the garden a year-round endeavor.  I figure it's better than doing windows...

So what else do you do?

Definition of cause and effect: %1(=Mrs.) seeing pretty pictures in brochures & magazines, then showing them to %2 with the perfect mix of clear intentions and doe-eyed sweetness. 
Example #1:  %1 flips through This Old House magazine and then later, introduces the Westport chair in direct conversation.  "That's nice, don't you think?"
As it turns out I have everything minus the wood and fasteners; mindful of context, I offer it as my Mother's Day gift to her.  That gets a smile.

Now, you may live in a part of the country where 5/4" inch red cedar planking is as common as 2x4s, but as for Central TX, I might as well be asking for boojum tree.  Those of you familiar with carpentry know that the measurements in the store refer to raw cuts of wood prior to milling and sanding; 5/4" lumber actually measures out to a true 1" thickness.  So what do you do when a search for 5/4" planking of any wood type, let alone red cedar, results in nothing?
You change the design to use 1" x 10" white pine, and adjust all the cuts to compensate for the missing 1/4".  Not exactly a walk in the park.  But when it's done, it's worth the work-


It even looks good without a finish, but we'll find a color soon.

The week after, I had not yet put away all the woodworking tools and I continued to look at the new chair, asking myself if there was something else I could do along those lines. My question was answered when I was cleaning out the van and came across a flyer from the builder's supply house that %1 had picked up long ago.  It's a sun chair-  again, they suggest cedar or redwood- but glory be, they actually confer their blessing on the option of pressure-treated wood! Combined with my current stock, the materials list will total out at about $40.  What's not to like?  This time, I initiated the job with %1, saying that it would be an Anniversary gift (OK, I --think-- I may be looking for excuses to do this).  
This time, there wasn't any measurement re-calibration so even though the cut list was a lot longer, and there were a lot more pieces, it didn't seem as tough as the first project with all of its funky angle cuts.



This one needs no chaise lounge cushion- it's comfy as-is.  I won't be finishing it until July, as there's no sense in trying to stain and seal pressure-treated wood until it's had a good 60 days or so to dry out and condition to the environment.

Boy, I'm getting kinda hungry for some local produce...


Comments